The most successful edge computing implementations are the result of solid partnerships. ADLINK’s partners give us the ability to offer complete solutions that encompass our capabilities as well as pre-integrated options based on our partners’ design and implementation expertise. These partnerships enable us to leverage technologies through all layers of required hardware, software, and network stacks to create viable, scalable, and secure platforms for defence and other critical verticals.
Our partners bring to the table an understanding of the cultural differences between IT, OT, and related departments that are touching today’s IoT deployments. This gives them the ability to comprehensively address the needs of all stakeholders. ADLINK partners also have extensive knowledge and experience regarding the intricacies of working with defence contractors and government agencies and supporting their requirements for secure, reliable computing and communications platforms.
One of ADLINK’s most successful partnerships is with ACAL BFI. To complement ADLINK’s expertise in manufacturing and production, ACAL BFI plans frame orders to support customer projects, provides field/on-site technical support, and develops custom systems through its value-added services team. ACAL BFI also has extensive knowledge of the UK market and strong long-term relationships with key customers.
Together, we offer:
- Rugged platform design
- Long product life support and end-of-life management
- Decreased design time and time to market
- Full- and semi-custom solutions
What ADLINK & ACAL BFI Are Demonstrating at DSEI
At Defence and Security Equipment International (DSEI)
, ADLINK and ACAL BFI will demonstrate small form factor (SFF) designs used in embedded and military computing, including:
- Single-Board Computers (SBC): SBCs integrate every component necessary for operation of a functional computing system into one, standalone mainboard
- Computer-on-Modules (COMs): COMs contain core system components and are designed to plug into a carrier board custom-designed for the user’s application
- Mini-ITX Embedded Boards: These SFF designs provide compatibility with leading-edge processor, memory, and storage components
- VITA 75 Compliant Rugged SFF Platforms: Our rugged platforms accommodate external storage and peripherals through MIL-DTL-38999 connectors and are sealed in IP-67-rated enclosures. These platforms function in any environment, from arctic to tropical, and are proven to withstand shock or vibration that can occur during use in military or defence applications
- Fanless Embedded Computers: Fanless design conserves space and offers easier and more cost-effective upgrading of key components. These conduction-cooled computers are also logical choices for field use cases since they have no moving parts that could be damaged by shock or vibration
Our SFF designs developed in partnership with ACAL BFI produce exceptional results. They support defence data systems used in any location, with or without a network connection. They enable high-performance computing and graphics in rugged mobile devices, and they support in-vehicle and inter-vehicle communication. We base our open-architecture solutions on industry standards for interoperability, flexibility, ease in troubleshooting, and cost control and make it possible for defence organizations to scale systems by combining SFF systems into a larger network.
ADLINK-ACAL BFI SFF designs also enable data collection and analytics at the edge. These capabilities eliminate latency associated with transmitting data to the cloud, which are essential in mission-critical defence applications. Edge technology also addresses the challenge of using systems in remote locations where reliable connectivity is not available. With the ability to extract value from data at the source, organizations can reliably facilitate data-based decisions in the field. Additionally, edge systems provide a solution in situations where transmitting data could compromise security.
Boots-on-the-Ground Benefits for Defence & Military Organizations
Systems leveraging ADLINK and ACAL BFI technology and expertise provide military and defence organizations with a range of practical benefits:
- Small Footprint: Large configurations consume space, require more power, and generate heat. SFF designs are more energy-efficient and reserve space within a design for added functionality
- Cost-Effectiveness: Open-architecture design allows you to purchase only as much computing power needed now, rather than making a large expenditure in anticipation of future needs. Our solutions, which comply with government mandates for interoperability, permit easy scaling when needed
- Bidirectional Data Flow: ADLINK Vortex DDS enables real-time communication from soldiers in the field to a gateway system or a fanless embedded computer, or from a field system to a server at headquarters. Data freely flows wherever it’s needed
- Maximized Data Value: These systems can capture both structured and unstructured data and analyze it in the field, providing immediate insights. They keep intelligence as close to the device as possible and, in some cases, integrate with the device to trigger automated actions or responses
See ADLINK-ACAL BFI Solutions in Action
We are fortunate to have partners like ACAL BFI that share our vision for IoT and rugged, embedded solution implementations, and we are also committed to building the same caliber of long-term, mutually beneficial partnerships with our users.
To learn more, visit ADLINK and ACAL BFI at DSEI at booth: ACAL BFi @ Stand N8-180,
Demo Solutions for Military and Defence Applications, and find answers to your questions about our custom products and solutions. Or you can download our white paper
on how the transition to small form factors is re-shaping military and embedded computing.